Marketing & Product Management
I am the Jill of all trades you need to lead your digital operation. I’ve held positions in editorial, marketing and advertising within traditional and digital-only media. Currently, I am part of a small team developing national media company’s 1st party data strategy. Previously, I worked as a product manager helping magazines and nonprofits build digital engagement solutions. Before that, I sat at the apex of digital operations for a Top 5 newspaper responsible for growing audience, revenue and brand awareness. If you need an accomplished visionary who can establish a lasting presence in new ventures or revitalizing mature products, I am the results-oriented, decisive leader that can bring success to your team.
Honors & Awards
Advise HearstLab teams (a community of early stage, women-led startups) on content, marketing, advertising and product strategy best practices
(Houston Chronicle Staff)
Hurricane Harvey coverage
Hurricane Harvey coverage
Hurricane Harvey coverage
Finalist idea focused on leveraging universal customer profiles
“For truly spectacular coverage in the face of danger and even death. The Houston Chronicle gave readers everything they needed to know, and then some. The coverage included exceptional multi-platform work from beginning to end.”
Beat out NY Daily News, Business Insider, The Guardian and USA Today for engagement on Facebook based on Engagement Lab’s eValue tool.
My Super Powers
Nexstar Media Group, Inc.
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX Area
Sr. Director, Audience Platforms
April 2020 - Present
Created, pitched and now developing the company’s digital experience practice, working across audience, content, sales and data to increase the collection of visitor data, grow audience engagement and develop loyal relationships with our visitors. Own requirements, prioritization, and successful execution of projects that create business value from the company’s 1st-party data assets. Streamline and automate the collection, management, and analysis of content, visitor and advertising data. Utilize CDP, DMP, ESP, CMS, BI/BA and other marketecture solutions to build universal customer profiles and engage audiences across their lifecycle.
- Led migration of 120+ local TV stations’ editorial and advertising email programs from two ESPs to one, improving list governance, advertising compliance, and modernizing email templates.
- Launched company’s first CDP, constructing data pipeline that manages 550M+ profiles.
Austin, TX Area
Principal Product Manager, Digital Engagement
Jan 2018 - Jan 2020
Responsible for the definition, adoption and successful rollout of capabilities that enabled web and mobile personalization across the spectrum of consumer engagement as some of the biggest media brands in the world transition from traditional marketing tactics to omnichannel marketing automation and 1:1 subscriber engagement. Core focuses included recommendation engines, identity resolution and match networks, tag management, clickstream attribution and analytics, journey orchestration and omnichannel personalization.
Collaborated and coordinated with sales, marketing and IT to support product development and management to ensure revenue and customer satisfaction goals were met. Engaged directly with clients to gather product requirements, evangelize digital strategies, and support sales. Developed core positioning and messaging for the product, including points of differentiation, and assisted with development of sales enablement tools and training. Worked with third parties to assess partnerships and licensing opportunities.
- Drove identity resolution, digital subscription, and ad optimization products from inception through introduction into the market, with a goal of achieving at least a 50% profit margin.
- Finalist in Hearst Lab’s HearstX Idea-a-thon; product focused on universal customer profile.
- Nominated into the company’s inaugural “Emerging Stars” leadership program.
- Nominated as a HearstLab Scout where I assisted in the evaluation of potential HearstLab investments (pre-seed and seed) and advised HearstLab teams, a community of early stage, women-led startups, on content, marketing and product strategy best practices.
Houston, TX Area
Director of Digital Content / Executive Producer
May 2012 - Jan 2018
Served as the local digital leader for one of the nation’s Top 10 regional news websites connected to one of the country’s best performing newspapers, along with overseeing subscriber website and mobile apps. The role sat at the apex of digital initiatives from owning content strategy, increasing brand’s reach via social media, newsletters, content marketing and other marketing efforts, and collaborating with the development team to build new interactive features and products.
Inspired, motivated and created a culture of innovation and experimentation across a team of content producers, reporters, social media programmers, freelancers, content partners and developers; defined strategic direction for content coverage that achieved business objectives across three websites and mobile apps; oversaw how content was treated from breaking news to large planned events, special reports and sponsored content (native ads); monitored and reported KPIs attached to audience/traffic growth, new partner rollouts and new product launches; engage broader newsroom in developing digital sensibilities that expanded the reach of their content; worked collaboratively with the local and corporate leadership teams to deliver revenue generating opportunities based on content or product ideas.
- Named Most Effective Publication on Facebook by Engagement Labs beating out juggernauts like Business Insider, Buzzfeed, Huffington Post, Washington Post and The New York Times.
- Chron.com named Texas’ Best Newspaper Website by the Associated Press in 2013 for the first time in the site’s history (since 1996). Site received same honor again in 2014 and 2016.
- Collaborated with product development team on two chron.com redesigns and successfully launched new subscriber website (paywall), houstonchronicle.com.
- Grew Chron.com total PVs by 80% and in-market UVs by 40% over 2 years, showing the best growth in the site’s history and across the wider Hearst Newspaper division, and improved ranking among top 5 regional news websites in the country.
- Reached 1 billion PVs for the first time in the site’s history within 7 months of being hired; achieved this goal 45 days earlier in the second year, and 75 days earlier in the third year.
Selected as 1 of 60 out of 20,000 global Hearst employees to participate in company’s executive leadership program, Hearst Management Institute.
Web Content Director, Rigzone
September 2011 – May 2012
Served as the Web Content Director for Rigzone.com, the world’s largest news and career website targeted at the oil and gas industry. Responsible for creating content strategy, managing full-time and freelance writers across the globe, working with development team to build out new interactive features, and act as a brand ambassador for the company.
Developed annual editorial calendar and ongoing content series based on industry trends that attracted and expanded audience, and increased advertising revenue for rigzone.com and two secondary websites: downstreamtoday.com and subseaiq.com; cultivated content staff to perform at a high level and reviewed work product of aggregators, and freelancers to guarantee all writing content is of the highest quality; worked closely with president, advertising, and Dice Holdings, Inc.’s Managing Director, CFO and CEO, to develop annual strategic plans and budgets; coordinated with marketing and investor relations teams on special projects and events (marketing and PR campaigns).
- Grew U.S. website unique visitors by 10%; international UV growth increased 25%.
- Launched sponsored content products that produced $250K in new incremental revenue.
USER FRIENDLY MEDIA
The Woodlands, TX
Internet Product Manager
June 2008 – August 2011
Served as the Internet Product Manager for the country’s 4th largest independent publisher of Yellow Page directories. Responsible for owning and managing product development of online marketing products to sell to the company’s more than 30,000 small business advertising customers.
Provided result- and profit- oriented product management in a Business-To-Business advertising sales environment; led product management teams in the development of new products; delivered profit-driven revenue models that increased profit while undercutting competition’s prices by half; developed business and functional requirements for products; successfully led business development and partnership efforts; performed business cost analysis, website traffic analytics and forecasts; created effective business and marketing plans, and developed marketing and sales communication strategies; liaised with 3 international web development teams to ensure product requirements were met, and oversaw product adjustments and quality control.
- Created and developed 6 new products triggering $10 million in additional sales revenue.
- Increased revenue contributed to company’s Internet Yellow Pages division becoming profitable in less than 3 years of launch.
- Digitized company’s sales contract and order fulfillment process.
- Re-engineered product requirements for company’s network of Internet Yellow Page websites producing cost savings that led to product expansion opportunities.
- Launched company’s first mobile website and mobile apps (iPhone and Blackberry).
- Negotiated contracts and reviewed business development agreements for 7 partnerships.
FOX TELEVISION STATIONS
Sr. Web Producer
April 2006 – June 2008
Progressed from Web Producer for KDFW FOX 4 in Dallas to increasingly more responsible position as Sr. Web Producer for KRIV FOX 26 in Houston during the launch and first 2 years of the myFOX network of local websites.
Developed content strategy and online editorial process for TV station’s website; supervised 6 employees; worked directly with Internet Sales Manager on TV sales convergence projects; scoped and managed special projects from inception through completion; produced marketing campaigns (e- mail newsletters, surveys, contests, SEO, SEM); wrote hard, breaking and feature news articles, ensuring accuracy and currency, and digitized and uploaded video reports.
- Creator of and awarded 2008 Lone Star Emmy – Interactivity for myFOXHouston Live.
- Named to the 2008 Texas Association of School Boards Media Honor Roll for consistent and accurate coverage of education issues in Texas.
- Conceived web presence for “The Intrepid – Texas Lifeline”, which was awarded the 2008 American Legion Fourth Estate Award (nationally recognized).
- Awarded 2007 Lone Star Emmy Award – Community Service for “Predator Check” project.
- Launched TV station’s first mobile website (WAP) and SMS features.
- Developed and managed micro sites corresponding to news station franchises.
- Increased myFOXhouston.com Unique Visitors by 20% and Page Views by 45% within first 3 months following the promotion from Web Producer in Dallas to Sr. Web Producer in Houston.
- com awarded 3 Lone Star Emmys – Informational, Interactivity, Investigative.
- Original web team member for the launch of the national myFOX platform.
INTERNET BROADCASTING SYSTEMS
Internet News Editor
June 2002 – April 2006
Internet Broadcasting Systems provides local news website platforms for local TV stations. I began my professional career with the company as an unpaid intern with KXAS NBC 5’s website, NBCdfw.com, and was hired to my first full-time position as a National Hub Editor in Minneapolis, MN. Within 8 months, I was promoted to Internet News Editor for Click2Houston.com and transferred to KPRC NBC 2 in Houston.
Wrote and edited hard news stories and feature articles integrating compelling and creative text, images, audio and video into an appealing and complete online news package; worked with website manager and station producers/managers to produce online content that extended broadcast news reports online; created additional web content such as live steam video, surveys, discussion forums, slideshows, sidebars and reference tools to enhance user interactivity; managed and updated locally produced e-mail newsletters; assessed and responded to viewer phones calls and e-mail (feedback, ideas, questions); trained and supervised two interns.
KERA 13 PBS
Local Producer, Children’s Television (Paid Internship)
December 2001 – June 2002
Hired as Intern after volunteering during PBS’ quarterly pledge drives to produce local video segments that were placed inside PBS’ nationally syndicated children’s TV show “ZOOM”.
Scheduled video shoots at schools; prepared questions and interviewed 1st through 5th grade students; wrote television scripts based off students’ answers; directed digital video editing sessions to add locally produced segments to nationally syndicated show; delivered product within very limited budget; cultivated and maintained contacts for program’s future success; created promotional materials including fliers and brochures; attended community events to promote show.